Blending her understanding of human and organization development, Marilyn is passionate about helping educators, parents, and community organizations facilitate social change and innovation through their positive impact on the next generation of young people.
Professional Qualifications and Experience
- Ph.D. in Human Development; Masters in Human and Organizational Systems; Masters in Organization Development; B.A. in Sociology
- Fellow, Institute for Social Innovation, Fielding Graduate University, 2011-Present.
- Extensive background in the fields of organization development, change management, leadership studies, education, youth and adult development. (30 years)
- Education and Nonprofit Leader. Experience includes co-founding the National ParentNet Association, whose 15-year mission has been to build family, school, and community partnerships that support youth. Long-time community volunteer interests include organizations that support children, aging, grief education, environment, homelessness, and poverty.
- Business Leader. Experience includes roles as general partner and board member of three highly successful privately-held corporations in food, wine and hospitality industries.
- Consultant to diverse organizations, including:
- Civic, Philanthropic, and Environmental
- Nonprofits - national and local
- Entrepreneurial Start-ups
- Scholar-Practitioner. Knowledge of theories and practices that are currently driving social innovation, including systems-thinking, complex adaptive systems, complexity, social capital, communities of practice, transformative learning, appreciative inquiry, qualitative inquiry, servant leadership, and adaptive leadership.
- Writer. Author of Tomorrow's Change Makers: Reclaiming the Power of Citizenship for a New Generation and several hundred articles on topics including, education, child and adolescent development, civic engagement, parent-school-community partnerships, and psychology. Many articles can be found at Roots of Action or Psychology Today. See other freelance articles.
- Keynote Speaker. Recent presentations at the National Conference on Volunteering and Service, Boys and Girls Clubs of America Conference, and National Head Start Association.
- Research and Strategy Advisor. Experience advising and consulting with nonprofits who want to develop strategic goals that link to the latest research in positive youth development. Clients have included generationOn, a global youth service movement sponsored by Points of Light; Youth Orchestra Salinas, an El Sistema-inspired program that provides classical music training to children living in poverty: and Bainbridge Healthy Youth Alliance, a community-led initiative to improve healthy outcomes for children and teens.
- Media Expert. Sought-after expert on youth development topics. Interviewed and/or quoted in publications, including, NYTimes, The Atlantic, Today.Com, ModernMom, Huffington Post, Your Teen Magazine, Michigan Live, PsychCentral, PTO Today, National Education Association, Harvard Family Research Project, ArkansasMatters, Kansas City Star, and many other news outlets.
- Listed in Wikipedia as an "American psychologist, columnist and youth development expert."
- Ability to bring clarity to complex challenges
- Keen listening, communication, and facilitation skills
- Ability to apply the latest theory and research to practice in families, schools, and organizations.
- Excellent oral, writing, and research skills.
Developing the Next Generation of Civically-Engaged Youth
Boys & Girls Clubs of America National Convention 2012
A Few Current Projects
• My blog, Roots of Action, shares stories, research, and insights on the underlying foundations of child & youth development -- and how young people grow to become tomorrow's leaders.
• My online column, The Moment of Youth at Psychology Today, examines the positive developmental building blocks of adolescence.
• I just completed a 9-article series at Edutopia on The Compass Advantage™. Read "8 Pathways to Every Student's Success."
• I am on the Leadership Council of the Bainbridge Healthy Youth Allliance. I gave their keynote for Summit 1 and co-facilitated Summit 2. Read more.
• I coach doctoral students on how to use technology to organize, analyze, and synthesize data. I also teach a seminar, "Research, Mind, and Technology" on same topic.
TV Segment "More High School Students Taking Internships" - shown in 2014 on network afflliates nationwide.
"Heroes and Role Models," an interview by Dr. Charles Sophy, psychiatrist and Medical Director of the County of Los Angeles Department of Children & Family Services. (Article and Podcast)
“Interview with Positive Youth Development Expert Marilyn Price-Mitchell PhD,” by Joe Wilner in his column “Adventures in Positive Psychology” at PsychCentral.